We believe everyone should have access to the Schmidt Vocal Institute experience. So, we’ll do what we can to help you get here. The Schmidt Vocal Institute offers both need-based and merit-based financial assistance.
Singers are encouraged to apply and participate in the Schmidt Vocal Competition. There are 15 regional and online locations and singers reaching the final round are eligible upon acceptance, in addition to a cash prize, for a merit-based scholarship to the Schmidt Vocal Institute. There is no separate application for merit-based aid.
Upon acceptance to the Schmidt Vocal Institute, the following merit scholarships are available to winners of the Schmidt Vocal Competition:
- First Place: $500
- Second Place: $350
- Third Place: $250
- Finalists: $150
- Special Awards: $150
A small committee determines eligibility for need-based aid through a review of the income documentation provided by the applicant. Aid amounts vary depending on the family’s income level and circumstances. Available funding is limited, and need-based financial aid will cover only a portion of the tuition cost.
*Applicants are also encouraged to research grants and loan programs offered by their local governments, foundations, and businesses as well as artistic and educational organizations to help supplement the assistance offered by the Schmidt Vocal Institute.
HOW TO APPLY FOR NEED-BASED AID
- In addition to your emailed teacher recommendation, please provide two extra recommendation letters from people unrelated to you (i.e. school counselor, math teacher, pastor, etc.). These recommendation letters should be written and submitted in a signed/sealed envelope.
- Submit a one-to-two-page statement addressing your financial needs, your interest in music, and any other extenuating circumstances.
- Provide the following information from your parent/guardian’s most recent 1040 income tax filing:
- Parent/Guardian Legal Name(s)
- Parent/Guardian Address
- Line 6c (number of dependents only, no names or Social Security Numbers)
- Line 22 (Total Income)
- Line 37 (Adjusted Gross Income)
- All documents should be mailed together to Schmidt Vocal Arts, 6 East 5th Street, Suite 406, Covington, KY 41011, or sent via email to SVI@schmidtvocalarts.org. Need-based aid applications must be received by March 18, 2024.