Revised Schmidt Vocal Arts Covid-19 Policy
(as of January 5, 2022)
Schmidt Vocal Arts (SVA) is committed to offering safe, in-person events for the 2021-2022 season. Our top priority is the safety of our singers and their families, as well as our adjudicators, pianists, and staff. Therefore, Schmidt Vocal Arts is adopting best practices for indoor, arts events and will require that all people attending a live event show proof of vaccination.
- Live event attendees are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after receiving a second dose in a two-dose vaccine series or two weeks after receiving a single-dose vaccine.
- Schmidt Vocal Arts will require boosters according to the CDC guidance on eligibility and timing of boosters. As of January 4, 2022 the guidelines state all individuals 18+ should get a booster shot. Please see this page for more details. This requirement may change with updated guidance.
- Live event attendees will be required to submit proof of vaccination before arrival at an event by uploading to the SVA portal.
- If a singer is not vaccinated (for whatever reason), he/she/they are welcome to register for our online/virtual competition. However, the singer will be ineligible for live, in-person events.
- Test results are not a substitute for proof of vaccination and will not be accepted.
Please note: Singers in our online, virtual events are not required to show proof of vaccination, however, if singers participate in an online competition and advance to the live National Competition, they must follow the vaccination requirements in order to compete live.
With the persistence and current increase in COVID-19 cases in the United States, Schmidt Vocal Arts will continue to follow strict protocols at each live event. In addition to showing proof of vaccinations, people entering a live event must agree to follow these rules:
- Mask Wearing: The only exception will be when a singer is on stage and actively singing or speaking.
- Social Distancing: Please make sure to keep your distance from people not in your family bubble. This will be a handshake-free event.
- Capacity Limits: Please note that only one family member per singer is allowed to enter the recital hall. SVA reserves the right to limit the audience to judges only if the case numbers in the area of a competition worsen. The event is not open to the general public or to teachers.
- Temperature/Health Checks: At registration, all singers and accompanying family members must consent to a temperature check and complete a health questionnaire.
- Waiver of Liability: All singers and accompanying family members must sign a waiver releasing Schmidt Vocal Arts, the William E. Schmidt Foundation, and the host institution from liability in case of an infection.
If you are feeling ill, have any Covid-like symptom, or have been in recent contact with someone who has tested positive for Covid-19, please contact the SVA office to cancel. We will work with the singer to find an alternate location.
We repeat: Please do not pressure yourself into coming to a live event while sick or with symptoms. We will respect your decision to withdraw and will help find an alternative.