Competition Procedure – Virtual High School Regionals
After the deadline, video submissions will be sent to the adjudication panel and scored using SVA adjudication criteria. To replicate the live competition experience, singers must indicate the video the adjudicators will listen to first. Then, the adjudicators will choose one from the remaining two to score. Adjudicator comments will be provided.
Singers are required to attend the scheduled cohort master class and awards ceremony. Approximately 2 days before the scheduled master class, singers will be notified if they are chosen to perform for the class. If chosen, the singer must provide a live pianist or accompaniment track. The master class will be via Zoom and will be for participants and family only (not live-streamed). The Awards Ceremony will be live-streamed via YouTube. Singers must be present to win.
The top three winners from the virtual cohorts will also advance to the National Competition in Sarasota, FL from May 31 – June 2, 2024.
Competition Repertoire/Video Submissions – Virtual High School Regionals
- Singers must submit YouTube links of three (3) video selections. The videos should be no more than 10-minutes in length total and should include a spoken introduction of the singer name and selection only (no ages, current schools, or teachers). Cuts are allowed.
- If the total performance time of the combined videos is over 10 minutes, the singer will be disqualified. Spoken introductions do not count towards the 10-minute time limit.
- The vocal selections must be from standard “classical” vocal literature representing different periods and styles, for example, Classical, Romantic, Impressionistic or Contemporary Art Song. One selection may be from a Broadway theatre repertoire.
- Singers must perform with piano accompaniment, but it may be either a live piano or a recorded track, unless the chosen piece is meant to be performed without accompaniment (i.e. “The Singer” by Michael Head). Orchestral or instrumental accompaniment tracks other than piano will NOT be accepted.
- No audio or video enhancement is allowed. Recordings should be one full take without video editing. Note: External microphones are allowed.
- All selections must be performed by memory.
- Singers may use pieces that have been videotaped previously, as long as the recording was made within the past six months.
- Video submissions will be via YouTube link. You may submit as a public or unlisted link. An unlisted link is not visible to the public without the specific link. Please do not send a private, password protected link as the adjudicators will not be able to access the videos.
- SVA is not responsible for late or unsuccessful attempts to upload videos.
- Incomplete, corrupted, untimely, or unintelligible videos will be disqualified.
- If for any reason a singer’s entry is confirmed to have been erroneously deleted, lost or otherwise corrupted, the singer’s sole remedy is to apply for next year’s competition, if eligible.
- SVA reserves the right to determine, at its sole discretion, which entries have satisfied the entry requirements.
- By entering, each singer represents and warrants that his/her/their entry is his/her/their own performance.
- Please make sure audio and video quality show you at your best!
Changes in Repertoire – Virtual High School Regionals
Changes to video submissions can be made up until the application deadline. No changes can be made after the application deadline.