Schmidt Vocal Competition Undergraduate Awards Important Dates & Deadlines
- Singers must be currently enrolled in an accredited university, pursuing an undergraduate degree, majoring in either voice performance or music education, AND must not be older than 24 years old
- Upper Division singers must be in their 5th-8th semester of study at the undergraduate level
- Lower Division singers must be in their 1st-4th semester of study at the undergraduate level
- Singers must have a United States Social Security Number and must be United States citizens, Green Card holders, or have DACA approved status.
- Singers may only be named a WINNER of an Undergraduate Competition Division once in their career. If singers win the Lower Division in their first two years of study, they may apply again once they are eligible for the Upper Division.
Please note that all semi-final round singers must be present at the online master class and awards ceremony. If you are unavailable on February 12, please do not sign up! Singers not chosen for the semi-finals are also welcome to attend.
Undergraduate Application Requirements:
- Singers must complete the online application and upload a performance resume via our online portal.
- Singers’ current voice teachers must provide recommendation letters addressing vocal quality, work ethic, and career potential, emailed directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Singers must pay the $25 non-refundable application fee. For special financial consideration, please email email@example.com.
- Singers may apply on November 1, 2021 and submit a video afterwards, but no later than December 1, 2021. All applications close on December 1, 2021 at 10:00pm ET.
- Written feedback from the adjudicators will be available to Semi-finalist singers only.
- Semi-Finalist singers are required to attend the online master class and live-streamed awards ceremony for their division on February 12, 2022 from 1-2:45pm ET for the Lower Division and 3pm-4:45pm ET for the Upper Division.
Video Submission Requirements:
- Singers must submit YouTube links of two (2) video selections. The videos should be no more than 8 minutes in length total and should include a spoken introduction of the singer name and selection only (no ages, current schools, or teachers). Cuts are allowed.
- If the total performance time of the combined videos is over 8 minutes, the singer will be disqualified. Spoken introductions do not count towards the 8 minute time limit.
- The vocal selection must be from the classical vocal repertoire (opera, art song, oratorio, etc.).
- Singers must perform with piano accompaniment, but it may be either a live piano or a recorded track, unless the chosen piece is meant to be performed without accompaniment (i.e. “The Singer” by Michael Head). Orchestral or instrumental accompaniment tracks other than piano will NOT be accepted.
- No audio or video enhancement is allowed. Recordings should be one full take without video editing. Note: External microphones are allowed.
- All selections must be performed by memory.
- Singers may use pieces that have been videotaped previously, as long as the recording was made within the past six months.
- Video submissions will be via YouTube link. You may submit as a public or unlisted link. An unlisted link is not visible to the public without the specific link. Please do not send a private, password protected link as the adjudicators will not be able to access the videos.
- SVA is not responsible for late or unsuccessful attempts to upload videos.
- Incomplete, corrupted, untimely, or unintelligible videos will be disqualified.
- If for any reason a singer’s entry is confirmed to have been erroneously deleted, lost or otherwise corrupted, the singer’s sole remedy is to apply for next year’s competition, if eligible.
- SVA reserves the right to determine, at its sole discretion, which entries have satisfied the entry requirements.
- By entering, each singer represents and warrants that his/her/their entry is his/her/their own performance.
- Please make sure audio and video quality show you at your best!
Singers will be adjudicated on the following categories:
- Beauty of Voice
- Technical Skill
- Career Potential
- Accuracy (Notes, Diction, Rhythms)