Revised Schmidt Vocal Arts Covid-19 Policy
(as of July 15, 2022)
Schmidt Vocal Arts (SVA) is committed to offering safe, in-person events for the 2022-23 season. Our top priority is the safety of our singers and their families, as well as our adjudicators, pianists, and staff. Schmidt Vocal Arts strongly encourages Covid-19 vaccinations and boosters. Please note that some of our live events may require singers/attendees to be vaccinated and boosted based on host institution requirements or nature of the program.
Schmidt Vocal Competition High School Regionals & Nationals and other live events except the Schmidt Vocal Institute:
With the persistence and current increase in COVID-19 cases in the United States, Schmidt Vocal Arts will continue to follow strict protocols at each live competition event. People entering a live event must agree to follow these rules:
- Mask Wearing: The only exception will be when a singer is on stage and actively singing or speaking.
- Social Distancing: Please make sure to keep your distance from people not in your family bubble. This will be a handshake-free event.
- Temperature/Health Checks: At registration, all singers and accompanying family members must consent to a temperature check and complete a health questionnaire.
- Waiver of Liability: All singers and accompanying family members must sign a waiver releasing Schmidt Vocal Arts, the William E. Schmidt Foundation, and the host institution from liability in case of an infection.
In the event of amended CDC guidelines, Schmidt Vocal Arts reserves the right to require testing, limit participation to one parent/guardian, or adjust other protocols in order to protect everyone’s health and safety.
If you are feeling ill, have any Covid-like symptom, or have been in recent contact with someone who has tested positive for Covid-19, please contact the SVA office to cancel. We will work with the singer to find an alternate location.
We repeat: Please do not pressure yourself into coming to a live event while sick or with symptoms. We will respect your decision to withdraw and will help find an alternative.
Additional Vaccination Requirements to attend the Schmidt Vocal Institute (SVI):
- Because of the residential nature of the Schmidt Vocal Institute, all singers, staff, and faculty must be up-to-date on Covid-19 vaccinations and booster shots (if eligible).
- According to the CDC, “You are up to date with your COVID-19 vaccines when you have received all doses in the primary series and all boosters recommended for you, when eligible.”
- Schmidt Vocal Arts will require boosters according to the CDC guidance on eligibility and timing of boosters. Please see this page for more details. SVI attendees will be required to submit proof of vaccination before arrival at an event by uploading to the SVA portal.
- Test results are not a substitute for proof of vaccination and will not be accepted.
- In addition to being vaccinated and boosted, SVI singers must be willing to provide test results before arrival and submit to random testing throughout the program.
Note: Any requirements may change with updated guidance. SVA faculty and staff may be subject to additional requirements.